*where Lolita is the diminutive form of Lola, itself a diminutive form of Dolores. Dolores = suffering.

Thursday 4 March 2010

the library clan

So there really are people that live in the library.
Surely some people think I do too.
It's a strange and interesting dynamic, the library. Everyone has their standard place; I mean, I know I get a bit aggressive when someone else sits at MY place and then I have to gallivant around to find a NEW, TEMPORARY chair and desk to work out my lovely brain.

We've got the scientists and mathmos to start with, they're kinda scattered, occasionally swearing for not being able to prove the Aldiudsrghsekhweeeroii theorem with the Nagayakawaganapa formula. In fact, my friend Rebecca dared to sit in the science realm yesterday and sent me a panicked text (I was in the library too, just some meters away from her): there's this girl that keeps saying fuck. come and see for yourself. I say: what does she look like? she says: a sight for sorry eyes. Well CLEARLY my interest was roused. So I proceeded to the single desk Rebecca and her stuff had occupied. And LO AND BEHOLD A MATHMO! girl/boy it DOESN'T REALLY MATTER now does it scribbling away weird greek letters that represent something like a=b2'΄΄μ χ σξκργησξγη and who got quite ticked off when I whispered to Rebecca. She snapped her head round and looked at as with predatory mathmo eyes. Okay dude chill the fuck out. I'm outta here anyway. D. H. Lawrence is way cooler than your shit.

Walking back to my space (in the centre - kinda - of the reading room of our library) I notice the classicists; the classic couple of Etonians working on their lap-rah-top-rahs with loads of shakespeare and aeschylus around them to elevate their st-rah-tus.

Next in line, the standard PhD table with my lovely musician/history of art/ and other subject friends that I am sure spend most of their time checking facebook or 'sending emails' or looking out for concerts and holiday deals. Just now one of them started dancing, as much as one can dance while seated in the library.

Then it's me. Turning my head round to check out who comes and goes. It's the worse. There's usually no one interesting although I have to admit that camping out in the library this year has been great with meeting people and checking out what sort of studious hotties Trinity has. It's not all that bad, to be honest. The shit thing is that you can't really speak/flirt in the library now can you? Thus, there is a need for a library lingo that will help people that are striving for knowledge communicate their intentions in a silent manner.
More on this, later. x

1 comment:

  1. hehe!
    libraries ARE interesting places, plus they feel cosy and comfortable in an unexpected kind of way
    I ll be joining you; hell -i.e. third year exam/revision period- is about to begin..
    xxx

    ReplyDelete